Crabs are the first name that comes to my mind whenever I crave to have some seafood. Every time I get a pack of crabs, I always keep an extra crab aside to give it to my dog. My horror story started the moment my dog quickly ate a whole crab along with the shell. Now I am here to share my experience with you. Can dogs eat crab shells?
Is Crab Shells Safe for Dogs?
Before feeding crab shells to your four-legged buddy, you need to know that crab shells are tough. Dogs can not digest crab shells well. The shell gets stuck in your fur baby’s mouth or throat, which leads to choking and many other digestion problems.
What Happens if your Dog ate Crab Shells Accidentally?
Crab shells might cause intestinal blockages, choking, and even death in some cases. Shells get stuck inside the mouth, gum line, teeth, and tongue, causing huge dental problems. Gastrointestinal blockages and choking might kill your dog sometimes. The shells, either raw or cooked, are very sharp. Tough and can easily damage your dog’s gastrointestinal tract that leads to injuries.
Side Effects of Crab Shells:
If the crab shell creates a blockage in the pooch stomach, you can notice his stomach gets bloated, making your dog feel uncomfortable. Your dog might lose appetite and suffer from a lot of pain. The bloat can not be treated easily and you might need to get the vet’s help immediately.
How to Prevent this Nightmare (Crab Shells):
It is advisable to keep your dog away from crabs at all costs. Do not allow your dog to eat crab shells left in your kitchen after preparing a crab meal. Also, refrain your dog on beaches from catching crabs.
Can dogs eat crab shells? A big NO! Never do it because it results in a lot of health problems. Take care of your four-legged buddies as they are very innocent and do not know what to eat and what to avoid.
Leave a Reply